Here are a couple of journalism news sources that I find interesting when it comes to understanding the media and citizen journalism.
- PressThink by Jay Rosen, is a great site for media criticism from a professor at NYU. Also see his project for citizen journalism call NewAssignment. Especially topical are his recent musings about the press "vetting" political candidates, in particular the New York Times. Start here and then read the followup.
- Terry Heaton publishes The Pomo Blog. He's worked with a variety of television stations to update their sites to be more community based. Two recent entries worth looking at are Research is all about the source, on who watches local news, and a linklist to recent stories at Newsweek and NYT about citizen journalism.
- Columbia Journalism Review publishes a lot of pieces, everyday, and they're a bit long, so I never have the time to read all of them but it's good stuff.
- The Pew Research centers have two relevant projects: Excellence in Journalism and the People and the Press.
- Dan Gilmor is one of the authors we read for our first meeting. His weblog is at Dan Gilmor Blog.
- Finally there's Romensko, a daily blog at the Poynter institute. It's a firehose of updates to which I sometimes subscribe and then promptly remove from my feed reader because I don't have the time to read all of the gossip. So I end up waiting for the sources above to reference Romensko if there's something I'm interested in.
Here's a list of my favorite political weblogs that I read regularly. They're all on the left of the political spectrum, so if that doesn't float your boat then tread with caution. Minus Andrew Sullivan.Daily Kos: Political analysis and other daily rants on the state of the nation Eschaton Hullabaloo MyDD :: Due Diligence of Politics, Election Forecast & the World Today pandagon.net - your fifth rental is free Talking Points Memo: by Joshua Micah Marshall TAPPED The Sideshow The Washington Monthly Think Progress TPMCafe || The Coffee House www.AndrewSullivan.com - Daily Dish Firedoglake - Firedoglake weblog Once Upon a Time... Lance Mannion Consortiumnews.com Beat the Press Glenn Greenwald - Salon Open Left